In May of last year I camped and ventured extensively through the dramatic Southwest and experienced a raw, exposed landscape hostile to life, quite the opposite of the lush rain-kissed Northwest I call home. A new view of plant life in the dry world there compelled me to focus on succulents for my next series of paintings. The strong, tough petals and prickly thorns of desert plants have a dynamic sense of design with their own grace and beauty even as they may repel us from getting too close or be embraced softly like my other flower artwork. Also, my new island studio has now allowed me to explore larger sizes, and the challenges of scale so as to express my macro views of these plants and envelope the viewer ever more so in their commanding presence. Morning Beauty, above, and 2 other neutral colored agave works are extra large in size. The plants I chose to represent are not just huge Southwest agaves but include enlargements of small garden varieties of echeverias from coastal California and startling blooms from the Hindu Monestary gardens in Kauai, such as Flamenco Whorl seen below.
All 8 new works are up-close and personal and all are big! View them now by browsing the Floralscapes Gallery on my website or see information below for upcoming exhibits of them in November in Anacortes, WA and January on Bainbridge Island, WA! Enjoy!
SAVE THE DATES:
I’m presenting these paintings for the first time this November at the Scott Milo Gallery in Anacortes, WA.
- 420 Commercial Ave, Anacortes, Washington 98221, in Old Town Anacortes.
- Phone 360-293-6938, E-mail email@example.com
- Hours: Mon – Sat 10:30 am – 4:30 pm and by appointment. Closed Sundays
- Gallery Art Walk Reception: Friday November 2, 6-9:00pm. I’ll be there! Come say hi!
The next chance to see some of the Succulents in person will be closer to home at The Bainbridge Performing Arts Center lobby on Bainbridge Island in January 2019. A debut show for me after moving here last year!
- 200 Madison Avenue North, Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
- Gallery Hours: 12:00 – 5:00 p.m., Tuesday – Friday + one hour prior to each performance
- Art Walk Reception: First Friday, January 4, 2019. 5:00-7:00pm. I’ll be there! Come say hi!