In December I tried my hand at fabric painting of a simple sumi design of the Enso circle cat that sold well as framed art at one of my shows this past year. It turned into quite a production to make 24 and a challenge for my improvisational sewing skills. Modeled after a simple potholder that I had and loved from Hawaii, I thought it would be an easy solution for creative holiday gifts and a chance to use up some leftover fabric scraps. The painting part went well, using black and red Jacquard Textile Color and Extender (to make it more fluid), and was actually easier to control on the “To Dye For” cotton fabric than on slippery rice paper. The assembly and sewing seemed like it would be straightforward but I ended up with a Wabi Sabi, far from perfect but functional gift. Still, they were well received.
Happy new year! Meow…
Sweet! They turned out great Sandy.